Sunday, September 14, 2008

One to One Reflection

I watched the One to One video last week and left it to sink in. I rewatched it tonight and these are some of my reflections on the video. I liked the teacher who brought up the fact that the computers should not be used simply as a research tool. The teachers interviewed seemed to be able to move beyond that and were using the laptops as another tool to be used in all aspects of the teaching experience. I also was encouraged by the idea that all of the teachers didn't use the computers for everything but provided other ways for student to learn without turning to technology every time. I clearly see that the Denali School District seemed to have a firm grasp on almost all of the "issues" that would come up with using laptops for every student. I wonder if the One to One initiative could be used in the same way in every school where it is applied? The only thing that would worry me or raise a concern, would be the power of the teacher to impart his or her personal experiences to the students. How many of us can remember the really great teachers we may have had? The personal contact and interaction that make teaching great is what shape and mold future generations. I would only hope that the students could still receive that same kind of education.

1 comment:

skipvia said...

I think the most important statement by a teacher in the video is the one that you pointed out--that you have to think about how to use the laptops beyond simply assigning a report to research on the Internet and type up in Word. That's where we see of of the most useful and engaging uses--as a photography tool, as a science lab, etc. The trick is to know the technology well enough that you can thoughtfully create assignments that grab the students' attention and create real learning opportunities for them. That's really the focus of this class.

I agree with your comments about great teachers. A teacher's knowledge of and passion for a subject is what we mostly remember about our outstanding teachers because they communicated that to us and made us passionate too. I don't believe that a one to one program necessarily hinders the ability of a teacher to get that across to students. In fact, I think of technology as a kind of amplifier. If you are a poor teacher, technology will make that ever more apparent to students. If you are a good teacher, that will also come across to a greater degree because you have so many more chances to communicate on an individual level.

Great observations!